In a region grappling with unprecedented challenges, where climate change, resource management, and global disruptions have struck congregationally, the need for collaborative research and innovation efforts became increasingly recognized as crucial and urgent.
In this challenging environment, characterized by obstacles and difficulties, but also moments of inspiration and a collective resolve to work together, the FUTURE4PRIMA project shines as a beacon of action, hope and a catalyst for profound transformation.
A collaborative journey
The recently granted FUTURE4PRIMA project, led by PRIMA Program, will be embarking on a collaborative journey starting on January 2024, with 21 partners across the Mediterranean. This coalition includes R&I Ministries as well as universities and research organizations, uniting their expertise and dedication to a common cause.
Strengthening collaborations for a resilient future
FUTURE4PRIMA is set to reinforce and expand collaborations between national R&I funding institutions, particularly in the areas of sustainable agri-food systems and water management in the Mediterranean.
Building upon the legacy of the Horizon 2020 Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area (PRIMA), this project aims at extending the Program’s activities to widening countries and, crucially, reaching out to third countries bordering the Mediterranean.
This expansion aims to pool resources, focus on shared priorities, and address emerging challenges in the region, aligning with the European Green Deal’s objectives and the UN Agenda 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
FUTURE4PRIMA seeks to add an integrated approach to resource management, encompassing ecosystems, energy, and health, thereby broadening PRIMA’s original focus on sustainable water management and agri-food systems.
Charting a path forward
FUTURE4PRIMA outlines four key objectives that underpin its mission:
1. Creating an Enabling Environment: The project seeks to establish an environment conducive to cross-sector R&I collaborations and strategic coordination among research funding organizations. This is vital for addressing resource efficiency and climate change challenges on a global scale.
2. Fostering Policy Uptake: FUTURE4PRIMA aims to foster the adoption of improved regulatory aspects that facilitate R&I cooperation, strengthening the international dimension of the European Research Area.
3. Accelerating Market Uptake: To drive innovation ecosystems and market uptake in widening and southern neighborhood countries, the project will support the adoption of innovations.
4. Providing Access to Information and Tools: FUTURE4PRIMA will offer access to information and tools to measure progress towards achieving the EU Green Deal and the SDGs.
Over the course of 48 months, FUTURE4PRIMA will:
- Develop shared R&I strategies among national funding agencies.
- Establish strategic orientations for the renewed PRIMA partnership within the next EU Framework Programme.
- Overcome implementation obstacles, streamline procedures, and harmonize national R&I processes.
- Bridge gaps in the EURO-MED project portfolio, promoting research uptake that addresses market and social needs while unlocking innovation potential.
This collaboration lays the foundation for a comprehensive update of the PRIMA Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA), offering a promising path towards a brighter and more sustainable future for the Mediterranean and beyond.
FUTURE4PRIMA in a nutshell:
- Starting date: January 2024
- Project end date: 31 December 2027
- Duration: 48 months
- Budget: 2 176 793.75€ (funding rate 100%)
- Countries: Spain, Italy, Turkey, Jordan, Malta, Israel, Egypt, Germany, Morocco, Portugal, Italy, Croatia, Tunisia, Greece, Bulgaria, Cyprus, France
• FONDACIÓN PRIMA (PRIMA) ES
• MINISTERO DELL’UNIVERSITÀ E DELLA RICERCA (MUR) IT
• TURKIYE BILIMSEL VE TEKNOLOJIK ARASTIRMA KURUMU (TUBITAK) TR
• THE HIGHER COUNCIL FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (HCST) JO
• MINISTRY FOR EDUCATION, SPORT, YOUTH, RESEARCH AND INNOVATION (MCST) MT
• MINISTRY OF INNOVATION, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (MOST) IL
• ACADEMY OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY (ASRT) EG
• DEUTSCHES ZENTRUM FUR LUFT – UND RAUMFAHRT EV (DLR) DE
• MINISTERE DE L’ENSEIGNEMENT SUPERIEUR, DE LA RECHERCHE SCIENTIFIQUE ET DE L’INNOVATION (MESRSI) MO
• FUNDACAO PARA A CIENCIA E A TECNOLOGIA (FCT) PT
• CENTRO INTERNAZIONALE DI ALTI STUDI AGRONOMICI MEDITERRANEI (CIHEAM-IAMB) IO
• UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI SIENA (UNISI) IT
• MINISTARSTVO ZNANOSTI I OBRAZOVANJA (MZO) HR
• MINISTRY OF HIGHER EDUCATION AND SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH (MHESR) TU
• META GROUP SRL (META) IT
• GENERAL SECRETARIAT FOR RESEARCH AND INNOVATION (GSRI) EL
• AGENCIA ESTATAL DE INVESTIGACIÓN (AEI) ES
• AGENCIA ESTATAL CONSEJO SUPERIOR DE INVESTIGACIONES CIENTÍFICAS (CSIC) ES
• MINISTRY OF INNOVATION AND GROWTH, (MIG) BU
• THE CYPRUS INSTITUTE (CYI) CY
• CENTRE DE COOPÉRATION INTERNATIONALE EN RECHERCHE AGRONOMIQUE POUR LE DÉVELOPPEMENT (CIRAD) – FR