Are you interested in gaining profound insights into the complex challenges surrounding the Water-Energy-Food-Ecosystems (WEFE) nexus in Mediterranean irrigated agriculture? Do you want to explore innovative solutions to ensure water, energy, and food security while promoting environmental sustainability? If so, we invite you to apply for the upcoming advanced course, jointly organized by the International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (CIHEAM), through the Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Zaragoza (CIHEAM Zaragoza), the PRIMA Foundation and the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA).
- Objective: Integrating the WEFE nexus approach in Mediterranean irrigated agriculture for enhanced food security and nature preservation.
- Date: 6th to 11th November 2023
- Location: Zaragoza, Spain + hybrid (online)
- Deadline to apply: 31st August 2023.
Why is the WEFE Nexus Important in Mediterranean Irrigated Agriculture?
Mediterranean irrigated areas are uniquely positioned at the crossroads of the WEFE nexus. While irrigation plays a vital role in ensuring food security, it remains the largest water consumer in the region. The challenge lies in striking a balance between water usage, energy demands, agricultural production, and ecosystem preservation. In recent years, modernization efforts have brought both benefits and challenges, including increased energy demand and the need for sustainable water sources.
What will you gain from the course?
The course aims to provide participants with a comprehensive understanding of the WEFE nexus, focusing on both technical solutions and policy/governance approaches. You will explore tools to support decision-making, sustainability assessment methodologies, and serious games to analyze trade-offs. By the end of the course, you will be equipped to:
- Analyze the complexities and trade-offs between WEFE components in a changing environment.
- Optimize water and energy requirements in irrigation system design and management.
- Utilize renewable energies and grid energy for irrigation pumping requirements.
- Develop sustainable and resilient policy and governance approaches for the WEFE nexus.
- Apply sustainability assessments and simulations to address technical, economic, policy, and environmental issues.
- Enhance your modelling skills through practical sessions and case studies.
Who should apply?
This course is designed for professionals from public or private organizations, including decision-makers, technical advisors, agronomists, environmentalists, engineers, and R&D specialists. If you are interested in addressing the WEFE nexus challenges in Mediterranean irrigation planning and management, this course is for you!
The course will be delivered in English and Spanish with simultaneous interpretation in these two languages. The international characteristics of the course create a unique platform for exchanging experiences and diverse perspectives. Formal lectures will be accompanied by real case studies and practical sessions to enhance learning.
- 25 places available for face-to-face participation (lectures, practical work, and debate).
- 25 places available for online participation (lectures and debate).
Join us at this exceptional advanced course and be part of shaping a sustainable future for Mediterranean irrigated agriculture. Together, we can create innovative solutions for the challenges posed by the WEFE nexus.