- Alham Al-Shurafat
- Programme Development Manager
- [email protected]
- Climate Action Now (CAN)
- Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)
Climate Action Now (CAN) is a nonprofit Jordanian environmental NGO that was established in 2013. CAN is considered as the first environmental organization focused primarily on climate action in Jordan. CAN works to tackle climate change by bringing forth major societal changes through establishing and building partnerships between business, government, and public bodies to shift towards a sustainable society.
CAN is delivered various successful projects, partnerships, and research and has membership in various regional and international environmental consortiums and networks. It also has got “Low Risk” level by BDO International, the world's premier accountancy and advisory network.
Currently, CAN is implementing Climate Adaptation and Resilient WASH Program funded by UNICEF Jordan with a value exceeding 300,000 dollars, to strengthen WASH resiliency in the Health and Education Sector at the national level. In another project, we are in a consortium that won the green innovation grant from EU of 1 million euros for the project Green Link. This project aims at Increase the activeness of a green, environmentally sustainable, and socially inclusive economy in Azraq and Zarqa.
- Topic 1.1.1-2023 (IA) Integrated adaptive wastewater management plans in the Mediterranean region. | Topic 2.1.1-2023 (RIA) New governance models to define best practices for sustainable water management and conflict mitigation.
- Topic 2.2.1 (RIA) A step toward carbon-neutral farms: coupling renewable energy sources with circular farming systems.
- Topic 1.3.1-2023 (RIA) Increasing agri-food supply chain (cereal) resilience in the MENA region.
- Topic 1.4.1-2023 (IA) Accelerate adaptation and mitigation to climate change in the Mediterranean region by deploying WEFE nexus solutions.
CAN has over 25 full-time employees (7 Male and 13 Female); 18 are first degree and above holders. CAN Board members are experts in climate actions, and they are well known in the sector of climate solutions. The Chairman of CAN has received recently Abdul Hameed Shoman Innovation Award for his effort in climate action. Additionally, over 25 community agents are serving CAN on voluntary bases. All of them are stand by to join a consortium which that tackle climate change, creates models, works on climate change adaptation and mitigation, water management, or achieve sustainable development goals in Jordan.